Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Apo Tambo


"Apo", in traditional Alibata (an ancient written language indigenous to the Philippines) means grandfather or elder. I met this wonderful man in an ancestral village situated in the mountain range surrounding Subic Bay back in 2007. He was 107 years old at the time and still jumping around up and about all day.

Apo Tambo, as he was affectionately called, was the last and final member of the Pastulan Tribe who knew how to read and write in ancient Alibata. I asked him if he was able to teach any of the youth in the Aeta tribe the dying language. He simply shook his head and told me that none of the younger members of the tribe had an interest in the craft. He added that most of the youth would rather learn more about hip-hop music and spend time on their cellular phones.

1 comment:

  1. We have rich culture and traditions. It's just sad that some, if not most of it, are being forgotten because the generation that it's supposed to be passed on do not really give a damn about it.

    I am, in a way, guilty as well. I don't know how to speak the dialect in my provice. But in my defense, I do want to learn and I can understand it a little.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to say anything you may want to.